©Designed by webdesignuk.co
The Half Moon
History from the 1800's
The Half Moon was formerly an Inn and was originally owned by the Church.
From the old parish records it was found that the landlord in 1828 was William Jackson, but it was 1866 when John Bulmer bought the Half Moon from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for the sum of £400.00 (quite a sum in those days).
When Robert Pape was the proprietor in 1870 a meeting of the Tenants & Landlords Protection Society was held there to discuss how to apprehend thieves from stealing farm produce, each member gave five shillings (25 Pence) towards a reward.
The above information was gained from the Easington Parish Council book “The Way We Were”, and thanks to the staff at Seaton Holme for their invaluable help
David Dryden & Robert Graves have been landlords of the Half moon since buying the business in April 2000, just after the old Sunderland brewery Vaux closed, and sold its hotels and pubs to Whitbread who then sold them finally to Enterprise Inns plc,.
David running the bar side & Robert the food operation, both having worked for the previous landlord, Dave Clarke for 6 and 14 years respectively, before Dave Clark left for the sunnier climate of Spain.
Dave Clark took over the running of the half moon in Feb 1986 from Ray Dove, who ran it for just over a year and a half after taking over from Eric Brooks, and other previous landlords include the 2 Charles and Mary Brackie